- On the other hand, there are those on the fringe of the party who are less beholden to the establishment and constrained by convention. They air the party’s frustration with these single women voters and don’t try to disguise their disdain. Earlier this month, the rhetorical bomb-thrower and media-monger Ann Coulter commented on the influence of Sandra Fluke in a Fox News interview:
- I think it’s probably a good sign that Obama is so desperate just to get the base Democratic voter — stupid, single women — to vote for him.
- Then, in another Fox interview, Coulter, speaking this time about Republicans wooing the women’s vote, said:
- Ronald Reagan managed to win two landslides without winning the women’s vote, but it is as you say, it’s striking, it’s not the women’s vote generically, it is the single women’s vote. And that’s because single women look to the government to be their husbands and give them, you know, prenatal care, and preschool care, and kindergarten care, and school lunches.
- The Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson — who has made a number of appearances on Fox News, founded a Tea Party group in California and is also the founder of a group called BOND (Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny) — recently gave a speech (I hope it wasn’t a sermon), in which he said:
- One of the primary reasons that it is over for America is because women are taking over, women are taking over, they’re in high so-called powerful position, they’re now running companies, they’re making decisions.
- He then pointed out that he was not referring to all women:
- The are some, a few out there that are logical women and can make sound decisions, but most cannot.
- He prattled on nonsensically for a while, adding that “women cannot handle power, it’s not in them to handle power in the right way” and “women have been degraded, women are now degraded, they have no shame.” I’m getting upset just transcribing this, so let me just get to the meat of it. Here’s the part of his speech I wanted you to see:
- I think that one of the greatest mistakes that America made was to allow women the opportunity to vote. We should’ve never turned it over to women.
- Because “they’re voting in people who are evil.”
Source: The New York Times